OK ya pukes. Gather up – today brought some fucked up news, and I think that we all want to vent. But first, let’s get some things straight.
These are the facts that we know.
- Bergdahl was a substandard Soldier before he deserted.
- Bergdahl said in e-mails to his parents that he was ashamed to be American, disillusioned with the war effort and bothered by the treatment of Afghans.
- Bergdahl mailed his computer and other possessions home prior to his disappearance.
- Berghdahl deserted and lived with the Taliban for five years.
- Berghdahl was promoted from PFC to SPC to SGT en absentia while with the Taliban.
- Bergdahl’s family collected his pay while he was with the Taliban.
- He was classified as a DUSTWUN (DUty STatus, Whereabouts UNknown)
- Bergdahl’s unit, elements of SOCOM and many other units attempted to find him, with the search resulting in six US KIAs, numerous WIAs and untold millions spent in the process.
- Bergdahl was released by the Taliban after President Obama agreed to trade five terrorists, then held in GITMO.
- Bergdahl was charged with one count of Article 85 UCMJ – “desertion with intent to shirk important or hazardous duty” which carries a maximum potential punishment of a dishonorable discharge, reduction to the rank of E-1, total forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and maximum confinement of five years.
- Bergdahl was charged with one count of Article 99 UCMJ “misbehavior before the enemy by endangering the safety of a command, unit or place” which carries a maximum potential penalty of dishonorable discharge, reduction to the rank of E-1, total forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and possible confinement for life.
- Bergdahl plead guilty to Article 99 UCMJ.
- Bergdahl was sentenced by Colonel Jeffery Nance to a Dishonorable Discharge, Reduction to PVT/E1, fined $1,000 per month from his pay for ten months, and no prison time.
This is my no shit opinion on the whole damned shitshow.
First – lets work under a few premises. The first premise is that we went to Afghanistan as a punitive expedition to bring the fucking pain to the Taliban and their AQ butt-buddies for 9/11. The second is that global politics led to mission creep that has kept us in that shithole. The third premise is that the US was there legally under international and US law. WE are at war with THEM. So, let’s not start any “Bush Lied – People Died”, 9/11 Truther bullshit.
Here is my issue. We have been fighting these fucks for years as a nation, and for hundreds of years as a culture. They are NOT going to change. Nation building, winning of hearts and minds, and bringing over whole fucking tribes on diversity visas cannot and will not make them love us, or make the United States a better place. We are importing usurpers and terrorists.
We should NOT treat terrorists, guerillas, partisans, freedom fighters, mujahedeen, or insurgents with any deference to the Laws of Armed Conflict – because they damned sure don’t. In fact – IF we were going to go that route, they should be treated as Spies and Saboteurs, given a summary trial, and executed.
Deserters, traitors, those who commit treason – should face the death penalty – EACH AND EVERY ONE. Whether they join Al Shabaab in Somalia, the Taliban in Afghanistan or are “self-radicalized” and kill fellow Soldiers or citizens directly – they need to fucking die. Enough with the “Softly-Softly,” all inclusive, kid gloves approach – they need to face a short drop and a sudden stop. Damn the prison time and taxpayer expense. I imagine that we could get a gallows and plenty of good American hemp rope donated for the cause.
This Bergdahl fucker is no better than Benedict Arnold, Adam Gadahn, Aldrich Ames, the Rosenbergs, Hassan, Walker, or Hanssen. Military justice has been fucked up for a LONG time. I have seen more than my share of joes that should have been put out or sent to Leavenworth, walk away with an Article 15. I have seen Soldiers that did their fucking job by killing the enemy go to Leavenworth. Just remember – it is the undue command influence that makes this shit happen – not the 15-6 Officers, CID Agents or Investigators who do the investigations – they just collect facts and turn it over to the Chain of Command. COMMANDERS and their SEAs have to step up and do what is RIGHT instead of protecting the brand and reputation of the unit. This case is just the latest in a string of bullshit that hurts the heart of justice.
Anyway – fuck that POS little Taliban fuck toy – I am sure that karma will handle him soon enough.
Platoon Sergeants – Take charge and give them the safety brief details – I am too pissed off right now.
See you fuckers Monday.